Due Diligence Checking Ltd has been a dedicated commercial Umbrella Body for the CRB and Disclosure Scotland since 2002. We currently act for over 2000 client organisations and process 2-3,000 applications a month for CRB Disclosures.
We became an "e Registered Body" (eRB) in July 2009, one of the first Umbrella Bodies to do so, and now submit 95+% of CRB check applications electronically via the eBulk process, including those submitted to us on paper forms. Using eBulk has significantly reduced the average time taken to obtain a Disclosure, on occasions producing them in as little as 24 hours (unfortunately not predictably!)
paperless and paper-form based CRB Check processes
The CRB introduced eBulk for high-volume Registered Bodies to submit applications electronically over the Criminal Justice System's secure network.
All users of the CJSE must undergo a rigorous vetting process which takes in their IT and physical security practices. eRB's must also develop, test and maintainan a software interface to eBulk which meets all of the CRB's technical criteria. This includes code that will prevent any incomplete, inconsistent or erroneous applications reaching the CRB, along with the ability to handle the various messages that the CRB issue in both normal and error conditions.
The operational benefits of eBulk can be significant, especially when coupled a web-based system for capturing the applicant data and checking documents online. Leadtimes are significantly reduced due to the elimination of errors at all stages and most of the handling processes can be automated. However, the investment required by the RB to develop and mainatin a CRB/CJSE compliant IT solution is considerable. Many higher volume Disclosure users struggle to justify the cost in money or skilled IT resources. Currently only 32 RB's have achieved eRB status, of which the majority do not offer external services.
We offer both a paper-form based process and, since January 2010, an online (paperless) process with online document checking.
Both processes are easy to use and very flexible, able to accommodate most levels of client involvement.
For the minumum involvement in the process, our paper-form based service can include our checking applicant's original proof of address and proof of ID documents; returning these to the applicant in 48 hours by recorded delivery. Once you have registered, we only require the contact details of the applicant and we will then work directly with them to obtain the Disclosure. You need only be involved further if the Disclosure has content or the applicant fails to return their application form (see Tracking outstanding forms)
Clients who are willing to check the applicant's original documents in-house can take advantage of the low cost online (paper-less) service. This provides a fast, easy-to-use CRB application process (no equivalent for Disclosure Scotland as yet) in which the required data can be input by or for the applicant. This is a secure online process using 256 bit encryption and the identity data is destroyed once the Disclosure is issued.
Comprehensive CRB Checking service
In either process DDC's service can include :-
- DDC sending the electronic or paper application form directly to the applicant
- Monitoring the return of the completed form, issuing text/e-mail/telephone reminders to the applicant as required
- Checking applications are good prior to submission
- Tracking applications at the CRB or Disclosure Scotland and pro-actively expediting any that are overdue.
- Notifying nominated client contact* of content securely (*can be a different person to the one who initiated the check)
- Storing the Disclosure document then destroying it securely in line with the Code of Practice
- Issuing a re-check reminder after a specified period
Our process is efficient and controlled at all stages with no "cracks" for applications to fall through. Consequently we guarantee to deliver :-
- The number and issue date of a "clear" Disclosure, or
- Notification that a Disclosure with content has been received with a secure process for relaying the content, or
- Notification that, despite our reminding the applicant on at least 3 occasions, they have not completed the application process
Online CRB Application Tracking
You can see exactly where an application is at any point in the process through your password protected Client Area on www.ddc.uk.net. This gives a read-only view of our operational system, so the status data is 100% accurate at all times, and shows the number and issue date of the Disclosure immediately we receive it. (Demonstration)
Where a CRB Disclosure has any content we will notify you securely and ask for an acknowledgement once we have relayed it (and before we put the number & issue date on the system).
The menu down the left-hand side of this page links to a descripton of each stage of our standard process, along with the variations we can support and the standards we operate to.
For larger volume clients we can offer a number of additional CRB check services including :-
- Bespoke management information reports
- Super-user access to multiple accounts for central HR
- Consolidated invoicing with full breakdowns
- Incorporation of applicant and cost-centre identifier codes
- Data downloads (CSV files) to incorporate results into clients own systems
At DDC we develop our own IT systems using in-house developers. We are happy to extend the above services if the opportunity warrants it.
Any questions? Contact us on 0845 644 3298 (in office hours) or send us a message and we'll get back to you as soon as we can.