This page is designed to provide some information for organisations obtaining DBS checks for Physiotherapists working in Physiotherapy Practices or on a NHS/Hospital site. If you have any general questions you may wish to try our DBS FAQ section or contact us directly.

DBS checks for Physiotherapists

For any applicant looking to request a check through the Physio First Vetting and Barring Scheme, please visit the ‘Physio First Application Portal’.

If you are looking to Register your organisation with DDC Ltd, to request Disclosures on your staff why not complete our Registration Page or learn more about our Application Process or Costs. DDC can offer a trial of our system, optional extra services and full support to reduce the resource needed by your team.

Who needs a DBS Check? (Formerly CRB Check)

In general the employer should decide which job roles need a check and at what level. If your organisation is working along side a third party provider such as a NHS Trust or Healthcare Provider and they have asked you to obtain a check, they can normally advise the level of check they require you to obtain. Some of the more common roles that are checked include:

  • Physiotherapist
  • Practice Manager
  • Occupational Therapist
  • Orthotist
  • Prosthetist
  • Admin staff
  • Medical Secretaries
  • On-site Medical Engineers

What Level of Check should my staff have?

Unfortunately there is no exhaustive list which will tell you exactly what level to request based upon the job title of the employee. Generally those providing direct healthcare to children and/or adults are eligible for the Enhanced Level check, with a check of the relevant barring list(s). The decision to check staff rests with the employer and any sector specific guidance you have been provided. The key to making this decision will be to evaluate the role in two aspects:

  1. What level of Disclosure can you request? – The first aspect is to decide what level of Disclosure you are legally entitled to request upon the employee, based upon the setting where they will work and the potential for contact with vulnerable adults and U18s. To help with this process you can view the current DBS guide to eligibility and some of our webpages relating to Regulated Activity.
  2. What is the appropriate level of check for the job being undertaken? – The second task would be to run a risk assessment on the job role on offer, taking into account aspects such as; the level of supervision, the control of access (e.g. restricted areas) , the type of contact with children/vulnerable adults (e.g. incidental) and any other safeguarding policies put in place.

Once the role has been assessed, you can decide the level of Disclosure to obtain on your staff. We strongly recommend that you record this Risk Assessment process to ensure best practice. If you have received any external guidance e.g. from a healthcare provider it is also recommended that this information is kept for your records.

How to obtain DBS checks on your staff?

If your organisation will not be processing more than 100 checks per year then you will need to Register your organisation with an Umbrella Body such as DDC Ltd. We can open an account for you quickly, there is no registration fee or set-up costs and you could be processing checks today! Our eBulk systems allow the fast and efficient submission of applications to the DBS.

Self-employed Physiotherapist obtaining DBS checks

If you are a self-employer Physiotherapist you may have been asked for a DBS check or told to obtain one. You can not request a DBS check upon yourself because you need an authoritative body or ’employer’ to not endorse you should there be inappropriate content present on your Certificate. Even though you are self-employed the Physiotherapy Practice in which you work can request a check upon you. You may also be paying for the check yourself which is fine. The Physiotherapy Practice should follow the guidance above and register.  Many membership organisations exist who can help carry out the check through an Umbrella Body like DDC. Just ask them or put them in contact with us.