I am self employed, how do I request a DBS check?

March 15th, 2018 by Jake Waddingham

If you are self employed, the only level of check you can obtain on yourself is a Basic-level check. Anybody may request a basic level disclosure on themselves, and this can be done directly with the DBS or Disclosure Scotland if living in Scotland. You can read more on our Basic Disclosure page.

If you are intending to work or volunteer in certain roles, you may require a Standard or Enhanced level check. Under current legislation, self-employed individuals cannot get a check on themselves. In this situation, the self-employed individual would need to allow a 3rd party, such as a professional association, to request a check. If the returned Disclosure contains information that indicates you are unsuitable for the role, the professional association would make this decision.

Open  FAQ


  • Posted in FAQs, Getting Started
  • Comments Off on I am self employed, how do I request a DBS check?