This webpage has been created by Due Diligence Checking Ltd., in conjunction with thebigword, to enable all current thebigword translators and interpreters to obtain an up to date DBS check. thebigword requires interpreters to carry an up to date DBS check to allow assignment of work of certain contracts.
DBS check (England & Wales)
For all DBS applications follow the below process, which can be initiated by pressing the start button at the bottom of this page:
- Step 1 – Initial Registration Click the link below to go through to the Registration Page. On this page you will need to enter your unique reference number as issued to you by thebigword. This will enable DDC Ltd to identify you as an applicant currently working with thebigword. You will also need to enter your name, address and contact details. You will also be asked to enter a username and password which will allow you access to the online form. Please record this safely for future use.
- Step 2 – Make Payment Once details have been submitted and the price confirmed, you will be taken to a payment portal where you can enter your payment card details to make payment for the check. Please ensure that you have your Payment Card Details to hand, to enter on this secure website.
- Step 3 – Complete Online Application Form Once payment details have been processed you will be taken to an online application page which will provide further guidance on the process of filling out the form and the information you will need to enter, such as a full 5 year address history. This includes details of your ID documents such as a Passport, Driving Licence or Original UK Birth Certificate. For more information please see our DBS Document Requirements page.
- Step 4 – Post Documents to DDC Ltd Once you have entered your form information and submitted document details you will be taken to a final page confirming that DDC Ltd have posted a self-addressed envelope to you, so you can post your original ID documents. Please ensure that you send the exact same documents that you have nominated online, to ensure there is no delay in processing your application. There should be a minimum of 3 documents nominated. DDC Ltd will also post you a paper application form to complete if you would prefer not to complete the online process, which can be returned with the ID documents. Please note that this may delay your application slightly. Further guidance on eligible documents can be found in this pack. If you have completed the online application form there is no need to complete the paper application form.
- Step 5 – DDC to Process the Application DDC Ltd will process your application and submit it to the Disclosure and Barring Service. Your original ID documents will be returned by Royal Mail ‘Tracked Delivery’. This will require a signature upon delivery, or if you are not available they will store the package at your local sorting office for up to 18 days, after leaving a ‘calling card’. If you would prefer not to sign for this package please indicate on the paper form, or include a note with your documents. If you have provided a mobile telephone number and/or email address you will receive further information relating to the return of identity documents, including the reference numbers to track their progress. Please follow the link for more information on DDC Postage Options if you wish to upgrade the postal return route.
- Step 6 – DBS Issue Disclosure The DBS will post you a Certificate, to your home address as entered on to the form. Please note that for DBS applications this is the only copy of the Certificate and you may be required to show this to a member of the thebigword HR Team.
- Step 7 – Join the Update Service (optional)The DBS offer an Update Service which applicants can choose to join, for an annual fee. This could potentially enable you to re-use your Certificate for a role which has the same Disclosure level, workforce, Vetting and Barring Lists and volunteer status as your current Certificate. Applicants wishing to join the Scheme must sign up and pay the first year’s fee within 30 days of the Certificate issue date.
Click Start to begin