Are you running a summer camp or kids activity group ? Do you need a DBS check?

August 2nd, 2016 by Jonathan Bazely

It is very important that any organiser offering a summer camp for children or vulnerable adults assesses their need to carry out criminal record checks. This includes all those interacting with children and/or vulnerable adults. This may be volunteers helping out, students gaining some experience or paid staff.

DBS Checks for summer camp or kids activity group helpers.

As summer rapidly approaches and the school term ends many organisation begin to offer a summer camp or kids activity groups. These form a great place for children or vulnerable adults to carry on learning through the summer months. They also offer parents additional facilities to find care outside of term time. Summer camps are becoming more and more popular throughout Britain. Fingers crossed the weather stays nice so everyone can enjoy them!!

Each organiser will need to assess the roles that they offer under some key principles. The most important terms here will be ‘Regulated Activity’ and ‘Supervision’ which should be mentioned in any risk assessments you use (we will help define them if you keep reading too!)

If you have already decided on the type of check why not register with Due Diligence Checking Limited and begin your applications today?

Which groups will your workers be offering activities to?

It is very important to define which groups of people the services will be offered to. This can be split into two categories; children and/or vulnerable adults. Children are defined as anyone under the age of 18 (that’s the easy one). Please note that there are also certain establishments, such as a school, that need to be considered. These types of establishment are termed ‘specified places’. For more detailed information please read our webpages specific to regulated activity with children.

Vulnerable adults are classed as being ‘vulnerable’ if they are  in receipt of certain types of care, broken down into six categories. These are health care, personal care, social work, assistance with general household matters, assistance in the conduct of a person’s own affairs and conveying. For more information please read the pages relating to regulated activity with vulnerable adults.

What work will your helpers or volunteers be doing?

There are specific requirements for the work to be considered ‘Regulated Activity’ and every role will be different. Our guides are designed to help each employer assess the role before deciding on the level of check to request. Often writing a job description can be a very useful exercise, to help answer these questions, and decide the right level for your organisation. The frequency of the work is important, and the age/vulnerability of those attending.  The Department for Education (DfE) give some practical examples of ‘supervision’ which is a key term.

How do I set-up an account to request DBS checks?

If you have any further questions prior to making your final decision why not speak to one of our friendly customer service team on 0845 644 3298, or use our Contact DDC page. Once the decision has been made (and ideally documented) simply complete the DDC registration form. One of the team will call back to set-up an account within 1 working day (normally the same day if done before 3pm).

My role is not classed as Regulated Activity, what can I do?

There are several different levels of check and any employer can request a basic level check. Basic Certificates confirm an applicant’s unspent criminal convictions, and can be included in general safeguarding policy. For more information about the different levels of check then please read our FAQ page about check types.