What are the benefits of online DBS checks?
October 6th, 2020 by Jake Waddingham
Are you currently processing paper applications? Tired of correcting errors and chasing applicants for their paper certificates? Read on to discover the benefits of online DBS checks.
We work in partnership with many Registered Bodies who wish to streamline their DBS checking process by transitioning to online DBS checks. Many of our client’s transition from paper to online applications to save time, money and improve efficiency while enhancing their candidate onboarding experience.
As one of the first Umbrella Bodies to submit DBS checks online via the ‘e-Bulk’ system, we have years of experience processing checks efficiently and promptly, with a minimum of delay and effort. We answer some common questions and take you through the process to help you establish whether online DBS checks are right for your organisation.
Who can process online DBS checks?
Any organisation can process DBS checks online through an Umbrella Body like us. There are no minimum numbers required and we work with organisations that process between one to 10,000 online applications a year. There is only a minimum number, of 1,500 checks required annually, if you wish to establish your own e-Bulk connection with the DBS.
What are the benefits of online DBS checks?
There are many benefits of using an online DBS system which will save you time but also improve your applicants onboarding experience. Your applicants will no longer complete tedious paper forms and will be guided through an interactive online ‘Smart Form’.
- Online ‘Smart Form’ – built in cross referencing and error checking systems ensure accuracy with every check. Our ‘Smart Form’ only allows the applicant to proceed when all the information is entered correctly, including five years of address history.
- Status updates – track applications through the entire process whilst we do all the work. Using an online system, you will be able to see the applications progress through the processes including, when they have been submitted to the DBS or when your applicants have not completed their form. We will even remind your applicants to complete it.
- Electronic results – save time chasing clear disclosure certificates with online results. Once an application has been issued by the DBS, we will notify you of the result without the need of waiting for the paper certificate to be posted to the applicant. We will tell you about applications with conviction information too so you only have to see those certificates.
- Recheck reminder – we have a bespoke re-check reminder meaning you will no longer have to keep records on spreadsheets when applicants completed their DBS check. The reminder can be set to your internal policy and will send a notification when an applicant is due to have their DBS check renewed.
How long do online DBS checks take?
As you will no longer be relying on the postal service or applicants providing you with paper forms, a key benefit of online DBS checks is that they take much less time than paper applications. You will no longer have to chase applicants to provide additional information or worry about errors within the paper form. We also provide a pro-active applicant follow up service. This includes calls to your applicants to provide assistance with their DBS check and to also remind them to complete their online form. Below are the average turnaround times for receiving results from the DBS:
Basic DBS check – 24 to 48 hours
Standard DBS check – 2 to 3 days
Enhanced DBS check – 8 days, with 76% being returned in under five days or less and 43% being returned in one day or less.
How do I start processing online DBS checks?
Transitioning to online DBS checks is quick and easy with our free online platform. We will work with you throughout the initial stages to ensure all users are provided training on how to use the online system and are confident in how the process works. We have years of experience working with Registered Bodies ensuring a smooth transition to online DBS checks.
What is the online process?
The online process can be described in five easy steps. Described below is the standard process but this can be amended to meet your requirements:
How does the ID checking work?
We have an advanced ID checking tool built into the online system. This allows your DBS checks to be completed efficiently and with little effort and therefore reducing resource. The online system carefully guides applicants through nominating identity documents that are compliant with the DBS requirements.
The verifying process is simple and does not require any knowledge or experience of the DBS policies and procedures. Original documents are viewed by your document checkers who answer a set of multiple-choice questions. This confirms with us that the form information entered by the applicant matches the identity documents produced. There is no requirement to scan or upload documents to the system.
Are online DBS checks secure?
Yes, as a processor of personal data we are fully compliant with GDPR and have strict data protection policies in place. We are also accredited to ISO 27001, ‘Information Security Management System’ which highlights our commitment to ensuring your data is safe. Read more about – What makes a good umbrella body?
5 reasons to choose DDC
- Quick and free set-up – you can be processing your checks the same day with DDC’s free registration and set-up.
- Support and advice – you will have access to DDC’s experienced Customer Service Team and Countersignatories providing support advice for all your checks.
- Service to suit your needs – with bespoke packages and a flexible system, DDC can accommodate all sectors, structures and organisations.
- Secure and reliable – DDC’s system and processes have obtained ISO9001 and ISO27001 accreditation promising you a secure and reliable service.
- Single management interface – manage all your checks with a single interface, using our dynamic Client Area.
Do you want to see how the online system works first hand? Contact us today to arrange a demonstration of the full end to end process including all the online features. Although we prefer to come to your office and meet face-to-face, we are currently providing remote demonstrations.
Contact us today on firstname.lastname@example.org or 0116 260 3055 | 0845 644 3298