Can I check myself or a family member?

February 13th, 2013 by Jonathan Bazely

Under the current Legislation an individual or self-employed person can not obtain an Enhanced or Standard DBS check upon themselves. Anybody can request a Basic-level Check on themselves, via DDC, the DBS or Disclosure Scotland if living in Scotland. For higher level Disclosures there must always be a third party who is either offering a role that is exempted from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (1974) or is willing to endorse the subject working in a qualifying role. Further, that 3rd party must have the sanction of denying the role to the subject of the Disclosure, or refusing to endorse their working in that role, if they do not consider it to be satisfactory.

This includes companies where the subject of the check is also the proprietor of the organisation. If there are co-owners who are not related you can request checks upon each other.

If you have been asked for a DBS check, you can ask the requesting organisation to contact DDC and they may be able to administer the checks directly with us.

Open  FAQ